If you love apple pie and fried dough, then you’ll love these yummy cinnamon apple rings. They’re super simple to make whenever you’re in the mood and they go wonderfully with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream. Praktic Ideas shares the recipe with us:
Here’s what you need:
-1 cup of flour
-4 large apples
-2 tbsp sugar + 3/4 cup sugar
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/8 tsp cinnamon + 2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 large egg (beaten)
-1 cup buttermilk
And here’s what you do:
- In a large bowl, mix together baking powder, flour, salt, sugar and 1/8 tsp of cinnamon. Set this mixture aside.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix together beaten egg and buttermilk. Set aside.
- In another separate bowl, mix together 3/4 cup of sugar with 2 tsp of cinnamon to make the cinnamon sugar topping. Set aside.
- Slice apple rings, making sure they are about 1/4 inch thick. you can do this using a biscuit cutter. Toss or otherwise use center pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat until oil temperature reaches 350 degreed.
- Combine contents of first and second bowls as the oil heats to create your batter.
- Dip apple rings first in the batter, piece by piece, scraping off any excess batter by tapping rings against the bowl. Then, fry apples in small batched in the oil until they brown on both sides.
- Transfer crispy, gold apples onto a paper towel-plate. Let cool for about 30 seconds.
- Transfer rings individually into the cinnamon sugar mixture and coat evenly.
- Place complete apple rings onto a wire rack to cool further, but be sure to serve these while they’re still warm!